Wednesday, May 6, 2015

In Susie's Kitchen: Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup


I'll admit, I've been cooking up a storm the past few weeks and have been seriously slacking on posting recipes of the deliciousness that has ensued. I want to use the whole "I'm studying for finals! It's the end of the semester- give me a break!" excuse, but we all know I'm not the type to lock myself in my room or a library and study for hours. 
So here I am, with a long overdue recipe that I loved, and the best part? It cost me under $20 for all of the ingredients (I used store-brand for everything except the Rotel) and only took 30 minutes to make!

Ingredients:

  • 2 small corn tortillas cut into strips (I used a pizza slicer! So fast & easy)
  • 4 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 lb of chicken breasts, diced or shredded (I used pre-cooked & diced)
  • 1/3 cup white or yellow onion
  • 3/4 cup enchilada sauce 
  • 8 oz. original cream cheese
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¾ cup chicken broth
  • 1 can black beans (drained)
  • 1 can corn (drained)
  • 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes (with green chiles- optional)
  • 1/2 cup fiesta blend cheese
  • *optional* Cilantro for garnish

Cooking Instructions:

  1. Over medium heat, add 1tsp  vegetable oil in a large pot. Add your tortilla strips and fry until they are crispy and slightly browned. Remove them and set them aside.
  2. Add the last 3 tsp of vegetable oil to the pot and turn heat to medium high. Toss in your chicken and onions and brown them. (Cook your chicken for about 7-9 min if you did not use pre-cooked, and add your onions after about 5 min).
  3. Mix together your cream cheese, cumin, and enchilada sauce in a separate bowl. 
  4. Pour in the chicken broth over the chicken and then add your cream cheese mixture. Stir in well, and then add the beans, corn, and Rotel. Let it simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes, and then cover for 10 minutes (stirring occasionally).
  5. Serve immediately with cheese, tortilla strips, and cilantro.

Enjoy!
Let me know if you try it & how you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment